Real Money Casinos - Rmcasinos.com Riktiga Pengar Casino Spel - Rmcasinos.com/se/

Canadian Gambling

Gambling in Canada

Gambling in Canada has turned into big business recently. It used to be a sparsely populated, cold, and desolate region of the world. Today, Canada's overall business presence has gained incredible notoriety, and with that notoriety an expansion in all areas of commerce. That includes gambling.

Gambling in Canada? Doesn't seem to fit the normal scenario, right? Well, sort of, and that's part of the lure of Canadian gambling. In fact, during the 1800's Canada banned gambling altogether, claiming that everything except horse racing was in violation of the Canadian Criminal Code. Slowly, but surely, the Canadian Criminal Code was revised to allow additional forms of gambling without a penalty of law. Under the control of the provincial and territorial governments, all forms of gambling have been introduced to serve the greater interests of Canada. For example, charities can open casinos for the purpose of generating revenue for the greater good of others. 11 percent of all Canadian gambling is run by charities with the remaining 89 percent under control of the Canadian government.

Internet gambling, however, is not listed as a legal and recognized form of Canadian gambling. As a matter of fact, any online gambling operations accessed or stationed within Canadian borders is outlawed. Going a step further, Canada has outlawed offshore casinos as well.

Canada has over 100,000 separate locations for players to gamble. There are 31,537 slot machines, 38,252 VLT's, 32,932 lottery ticket centers, 1,880 bingo halls, 59 permanent casinos, 70 race tracks, and 107 teletheatres. In the year 1999, the Canadian government took in a total of 5.5 billion dollars in profit. After all expenses were taken out, this figure is just under the annual alcohol and tobacco sales total of 5.9 billion. Pretty impressive, considering gambling rarely winds up in favor of the gambler.

The future of Canadian gambling looks profitable, but far less than statistical greatness of it's American counterpart. Gambling treatment programs swallowed up 28 million dollars in revenue during the year of 1999. That comes to $1.20 in taxes per year out of the pockets of every adult Canadian.

Gambling establishments exist in many of the states such as:

Law enforcement surrounding Internet gambling in Canada have stepped their efforts up a notch. Considering the average total loss for each adult gambling patron comes to $400 dollars, this isn't such a bad thing. The provinces think that Internet gambling crackdowns are a wise move as well, considering they take in a whopping 3.41 percent of their total revenue from their provincially controlled casinos. More and more people are finding out the hard way, saying no to Internet gambling is easier said than done.


Possible future topics include:

Also may be of interest: deerfoot casino in calgary canada & river cree casino in Edmonton canada